Thursday, June 18, 2009

The "magic" years...

Hello. I'm back. It's felt like weeks. I know it hasn't been weeks, but I think all the posts that I've written over the last 3 or 4 weeks were written in such a daze that I barely recall them. Perhaps I should clarify, not like a drug induced daze, just a studying daze. Now, I've just replaced the studying daze with the Twilight-saga daze.

So, phew, I found my camera charger. It was actually in the first place I looked, but apparently I didn't look that well (again probably because of the Twilight daze). Anyway, Ryan saved the day and found it. So I will be able to post some new photos and videos (if they ever finish uploading).

Um, yeah, about those "magic" years. I haven't actually read the book to find out why they call them the magic years and not something like the tragic years, or the really hard years, or the pour yourself a drink and try to have a good sense of humor years--any of those titles would have been much more appropriate. To you mothers out there who already know, they are referring, of course, to the toddler years. Maizey became a toddler the day she started walking--at least that is the formal definition, but I actually think that the toddler years began for us last Thursday...

So Maizey has always been, let's say...opinionated and spirited. But always in a really crazy and endearing way. I would have NEVER considered her to be a hard child to manage. Just happy and crazy and fun. Well, I was driving down to visit my sister last Thursday when Maizey had her first temper tantrum, yes, her first temper tantrum was in the car--it was painful. The crying quickly escalated to screaming and hyperventilating. I was sure that something bad had happened, like a bee sting, so I exited and pulled over. The minute I got her out she was happy and smiley. The minute I put her back in her seat--screaming. I was livid.

That was the beginning. Now we are "those people with the kid" at restaurants. Maizey throws food and just wants to bang silverware on the table. It takes a clean-up crew to take care of the mess after we finish (actually I just get on my hands and knees and use wipes, because I don't want to be those people). She screams to get out of her high chair and then runs around the tables laughing. Putting her to bed at night takes HOURS, yes more than one.

On the flip side, she is growing up and it's adorable and fun to watch. Her personality is addicting and magnetic. She learns a new skill everyday. She says mama every 5 seconds (which is endearing or annoying depending on the context), she says "hi dad" whenever she sees Ryan (but it sounds more like "hiiiiiii dahhh"), she can point to her foot, belly, and head. She can tell you what sounds dogs, cats, cows, ducks, and crows make. She's pretty good at saying up and sometimes we hear down. Oh yeah, her favorite thing now is the phone, she even can hold a conversation with Grammy, and she does so just about every morning. It's the first thing she asks for when she wakes up--literally.

Best of all, she's a dancing queen. Her moves are getting better everyday. She's added foot tapping and arm swinging into her repertoire.

I guess I should say something about the rest of us. We're good. I'm learning what it's like to be a stay at home mom again...it's hard--especially in the midst of the magic years. But it's also really amazing and fun, and truth be told it's allowed me to get in quite a bit of reading. I'm also making a lot of cookies, which is not so good. We're slowly getting used to life with one dog, although I think Lou is still feeling bummed. Ryan is finally getting the time he's been dying to have to work on the house. Every night it's either yard work, wash the cars, or dilly dallying in the garage. I know how much he missed being able to do that stuff while I was in school. My mom is into her 2nd week of radiation and we're finally coming the a foreseeable end to this journey. She's been doing very well with it so far, and I don't anticipate that to change based off our previous experiences. I'm super excited to take Maizey to the Solstice parade this weekend (painted naked people should be highly entertaining for her) and then we're going hiking on Sunday, so we should have lots of photos to share on Monday!

Peace...

This is our life. Everyday.


She is crazy for Starbucks Iced Cups--like her mama.
Her pool. She LOVES it!
Deep in thought.

Eating chocolate chips. I know, I'm a good mommy.

Post-chocolate chipsThe day of the infamous breakdowns, oh yeah, this is her new favorite dolly. It's a blast from the past and even smells like Strawberry Shortcake, but not my top choice for a "lovey" item. It's scary, has a crazy Chucky laugh, and feels awful when you roll over on it in bed!

Below are two videos, this is going to be how I post videos from now on. It's so fast, it puts the Blogger application to shame. Serious shame. Anyway, they're both from tonight, one is of some of her fancy new moves and the other is Maizey showing off some of her skillzzzz!

3 comments:

Jessica Zevely said...

How is it possible that Maizey is so big? It seems like just yesterday she was a little 4 pound peanut! She's getting more gorgeous every day! She's so cute! I want her to meet Juno! And I want you to meet her SOON too!

Ashley Bruggeman said...

Ah, the first temper tantrum. They can be charming, no? She is adorable, though and you will forget all the tough times and remember all the fun--it just keeps getting better...

Ashley Bruggeman said...

Ah, the first temper tantrum. They can be charming, no? She is adorable, though and you will forget all the tough times and remember all the fun--it just keeps getting better...